For many home business owners, running a business at home can create the problem of being distracted by every little thing. The telephone, television, kids, visiting neighbors, and even pets become a distraction when the home office isn't set up correctly or pours into the other parts of the home. A proper home office should allow you to have a space where you can focus on your work and not be distracted by other aspects of life. Investing in creating a proper home office will increase the way you value your business, and in turn, you will see an increase in productivity and profits.
A realization for many working through the pandemic is that a home office doesn’t need to fit the typical definition of a fixed room where any who dare to enter risk receiving “the look”. The primary goal of working from home is to find a space that is separate from distractions. That definition alone creates a world of opportunities. The following tips will help you rethink workspaces and find amazing flexibility.
- Call us biased, but Worky’s portable workstation solutions are the easiest and most immediate solution to workspace flexibility. In a second, an instant workstation can be set up anywhere: deck, living room, kitchen table, and more. They also help increase organization, maximize productivity, and reduce stress.
- Rethink how to create a separate space with screens or curtains. Visually blocking off the space asserts the difference between the living and working areas to yourself and others.
- It is also vital to have a separate phone line. It's virtually impossible to get any work done if the phone is ringing every ten minutes because the kids' dentist is calling, or your aunt wants to chat for half an hour.
- Post your daily schedule somewhere that you will see it (like Worky’s built-in dry-erase board). This schedule should map out the way that you will divide your time between family, leisure and work. By doing this, you will avoid taking extremely long lunch breaks or running out the door to pick up that item you forgot to get at the grocery store when it pops into your mind.
- Remain realistic. By now, most everyone has had a barking dog, screaming child run through a room or more. While a home office can create unique stressors, it is an amazing path to having a healthy work-life balance.